Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What I've Learned from People like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus

We all remember Justin Bieber and  Miley Cyrus as young teens.  Fresh and fun, good role models for our kids.  Both professed to be followers of Jesus.  In fact,it was Justin Bieber who was found singing worship songs on youtube.

but money and fame have a funny way of changing people.

And haven't we all, at one time or another wished for that fame? for that fortune? Oh, how life would be easier if we lived like Hollywood stars.  If we had money like that, we'd be set!

And we watch, and see Justin and Miley fall down.  Over, and over, and over again.  We wonder how they have gone from the squeaky clean role models we remember, to the barely dressed and law breaking stars they are right now.  And we smugly say we wouldn't be like that.  Oh no, if we had their money, we'd be wise.  We'd give much of it away as Jesus would want us to, and we'd make wise choices with the rest of it.  But we'd live comfortably, without worrying how we are going to pay the bills for once.

Well, I don't know about you, but if I am downright honest with myself, I think there is a good chance I'd be just as foolish.  I am pretty sure I'd stumble, just as they are....maybe worse. Because money and fame can do that to a person.  Not always...there are people who wisely use it to God's glory, to bless others, to help others...but many, many out there don't.

And it's not that they are bad people.  I don't believe Justin or Miley are horrible people.  I believe they are human, sinful people who are distracted by the glimmer of it all.

And I believe I would be too.

I think there is a good chance I could be a very greedy rich person.

Miley and Justin, watching them, from where they came from, to where they are now....they teach me that money doesn't solve all problems, and in the end can cause more.  They have shown me that you may be able to finally pay your bills, but now you can have a whole other slew of problems.  Not to mention that there are times we can read about famous people in Hollywood, who had a life full of promise, and MONEY, only to find themselves homeless or struggling to make ends meet because somehow after a host of poor choices, they find themselves in a very dark place.  And they say money doesn't buy happiness.   We secretly think it buys a little bit of happiness at least.  But if that was true I think we'd see fewer celebrities succumb to suicide, or drug and alcohol addictions.  It looks to me like all the money in the world doesn't take away the pain in your heart.

You know, lack of money is not the only area you can be poor in. You can be RICH in the financial sense, but poor in many other areas of your life.  We ALL are poor in some areas.  Sometimes I wonder if in the Bible when God commands us to help the poor, He isn't only talking about it in money terms. What about the spiritually poor? The emotionally poor?  Add that to the financially poor and everywhere you turn there are people who need Jesus' love.

And all of a sudden, lack of money doesn't seem so bad after all. Actually, as crazy as it sounds, many days I am thankful for it.  Many days I am thankful that living low income is okay with me as long as I get to spend more time with my family.  Many days I am happy that my husband and I can be risk takers without fear of losing a 3000 sq foot home or fancy cars (can't lose what you don't have!).  I have had moments where I am thankful we have learned how to be frugal, how to stretch the groceries, or how to choose cheaper activities to take part in because if ever we are in crisis, we may just be a little more prepared for it.  And though there are times that can be tough...that there are times that have brought us to our knees wondering if we got it all wrong, as was the case as early as a few months ago, those moments often pass, we learn a different way of working within our circumstances, and we see and feel God guiding us into focusing on HIM more, and less on the almighty dollar.  And we always seem to come out of those times stronger, and with a clearer understanding of what our lives should reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment