Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How to Make Kefir

Today I want to share with you how to make kefir.  Kefir is similar to yogurt, except that it is even better for your digestive system because it contains even more of that good bacteria than yogurt.  It's simple to make.

Heat one liter of milk on the stove to 180°F.  I used goat milk but use whatever milk you want. I know people have made kefir from almond milk as well, but I'm not sure if the technique was different.


You'll want to stir it a lot, because milk burns really easily.

After it reaches 180°F, you'll wanna remove it from the heat.  Let it cool down to 73-77°F.  Once it does, pour some of the milk in a small cup and add your kefir starter.


Mix it until it's dissolved, and then pour it back into the pot with the other milk.  After you stir up the pot really well, put it in a jar to sit on the counter for about 24 hours, until curd starts to form.  Yes, that's right, this time it's okay if you leave milk on the counter. ;)  


Keep refrigerated after the 24 hours.  You can use this in smoothies, or add some fruit or homemade healthy jam to it!

You may have heard of kefir grains as well.  These are little grains that you put in the kefir instead of starter.  Over time they multiply, and if you are successful and don't kill them, they can last a lifetime!  I, however, wasn't so lucky in the past.  I have used milk and water kefir grains, and plan to do so soon, but they regular a bit of TLC so I'm waiting until I'm not holding a baby most of the day!  So far I haven't seen kefir grains in the store....I think you can only buy them online.

(This is day 9 of my 31 day series:  31 Days of Healthier Grub).



No comments:

Post a Comment