Thursday, October 4, 2012

Breakfast - the most important meal of the day...

You've  heard it a million times - Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  Well, I'd have to agree. Breakfast is often the meal that will set up up for either success or failure.  If you start the day off right, chances are you will be more willing to stick to a good diet all day.  If you start off with sugary sweets for breakfast, chances are you will have a rough day of food choices. Not only that, if you are like me, you will end up with a stomach ache!

In our house we LOVE cereal.  We are big cereal eaters.  Or at least we were.  Because as tasty as cereal can be, there isn't much benefit.  It is usually full of sugar.  Even many of the "healthy" cereal options.  And my son and daughter, who are only 3 and 5 could eat two bowls in one sitting, and complain of being hungry an hour later.  It wasn't helping our wallet or our bodies!

In our house, I start most mornings with a green smoothie. The kids and I both have some (haven't been able to convince the husband to trade in his coffee for some smoothie...;) )  But even if you are one who needs your morning coffee, there are other things you can consume with your coffee to rev up your engine for the day!

Oatmeal is a great option. Many people say that their kids complain about oatmeal.  In our house we have lots of "add-ins", and my kids LOVE their oatmeal.   You can put in it nuts, seeds, cinnamon, cacao nibs, raisins, fruit, coconut...etc.  The options are endless!

For those times a cereal craving does hit and nothing else will do, there are quinoa puffs (pictured below).  Think Rice Krispies but instead of rice,  it is quinoa.  We load ours with toppings like nuts, seeds, chia seeds  raisins, agave....etc.  But we don't buy this on a regular basis because it isn't very frugal.




I usually like to start my day off with fruit.  Eating oranges, bananas, or berries along with my smoothie makes the day look better!

In the cooler weather I sometimes need to start my day off with something warm.  A hot herbal tea is the perfect remedy.

Interestingly enough, I discovered someone is doing a 31 day series on "Whole Food Breakfasts."

What is your favorite healthy breakfast?  Do you buy boxed cereal?

(This is day 3 in my 31 day series "31 days of Healthier Grub."  Thanks for stopping by!)




No comments:

Post a Comment